@ wit's end with style names in CS2 vs. Other Win Apps

!Carlos Caffeinated (TT) has the usual 4 styles: regular, bold, italic, and bold-italic. Everything is cool in every program, except the CS2 applications. There, there is only regular and bold-italic. Inspecting the file's properties and tables I cant find a problem. A free font, this a low-priority problem to solve sometime when I redraw the font (already planned).

Then...

My newest font, intended to be my first commercial release, has three cuts with the same basic4 in each. However, Cut #1 has all 4 in all applications, including CS2. Cut #2 and #3 have: Regular, bold and bold-italic. No "Italic" (In CS). But, the "Regular" is italicized. How can this be?

In Word's font menu, Windows's font preview, and several small font viewing applications, as well as all other font developing tools, everything is kosher.I am developing all the cuts side-by-side. I've poured over this for days, recompiled, completely re-entered the name fields, stopped all other development, re-rendered the italics from the original design, scoured the web for a clue, revised the OT naming system, and now I'm all out of ideas. Please help.


Assuming that your fonts are o.k., try a tool like FontFinagler to delete your OSX's font cache files which seem to be corrupted.
After re-booting -- but before opening any CS application -- delete the "AdobeFnt*.lst" files. Do not files ending with ".db" suffix, see Thomas Phinney's article.

I'm PC-Based. Does the “AdobeFnt*.lst” thing apply to windows as well? (edit: it does.)I am off to go look into this more.

Choz Cunningham
!Exclamachine Type Foundry
The Snark

Clearing the adobefnt*.lst's didn't change anything. Still working on it.

I just took !Carlos Caffeinated, and created an outline version. I added "Outline" to the family name, and it works perfectly!? According to several apps, the font folder is a-ok (synced with registry, no errors)

Ok, so if Adobe apps aren't just building the font lists from the OT Preferred Names, where are they coming from? !Carlos Caff was just a plain TrueType, and I get an similar but different partial list of styles on a PC with PS7 (still problems with both faces).

Or, I am going insane.

There are a few areas in a TrueType font that are used in 'tagging' a font and showing its style.

All the 'name' table fields should be consistent and correct.

'fsSelection' in the 'OS/2' table is also used for 'style'
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#fss

Also Weight is marked in 'fsWeight' in the OS/2 table
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm
Any value greater than 400 will be seen as a Bold font.

These are the main three areas, there are other values in 'head' and Panose values that have weight values or style but these don't usually cause problems on Windows.

Quickly looking at the fonts the Bold name table is incorrect. The PostScript name is incorrectly formatted and the Weight is set to Regular in both the Bold and Bold Italic which is wrong and could cause confusion in Windows.

The Unicode and Code Page coverage are wrong. And the Panose is wrong. But your main problems are the name tables are wrong and the weights are wrong.

he Bold name table is incorrect. The PostScript name is incorrectly formatted and the Weight is set to Regular in both the Bold and Bold Italic which is wrong and could cause confusion in Windows.

In my rebuild of !Carlos, I just changed the bold styles to a 700 weight, removed the extra/non-english names and and recompiled as OT, with double-checked spellings. Still, the Italic and Bold styles are awol in PS CS2. These are the same files I then built the (behaving correctly) Outline style.

The Unicode and Code Page coverage are wrong. And the Panose is wrong. But your main problems are the name tables are wrong and the weights are wrong.

Forgot to check that, will do so today, and post the problematic and non-problematic files after 5p.

Choz Cunningham
!Exclamachine Type Foundry
The Snark

I rebuilt all the tables, or deleted them, then recompiled. Installed the 8 fonts (!CC x4 and !CC Outline x4) on the two computers. All 4 of the Outline styles still work on both computers, but Computer #1 showed only Regular and Bold-Italic of the solid style. The Computer showed only Bold, of the solid style. So... I went and deleted the adobefn*.* files (with Phinney's exceptions) on Computer #2. Problem solved on Computer #2!

Computer #1, which I had previously deleted the same files, still not working right. Searched again for stray adbefnt lists, emptied the recycler. Still not working right. So, there must indeed be some sort of font cache error on my computer somewhere. But the problem seems to no longer be with the fonts.

View original article